Adult learner? Maynooth University CAO Open Evening on 11 January

By Anne Sexton - Last update

Get Daily news and updates directly to your Email

Are you over 21 and would like to study for a degree part-time and at night, but don’t know where to start? Maynooth University can help.

The Department of Adult and Community Education in Maynooth University is holding a CAO Application Workshop for the BA Local Studies/Community Studies (MH803) from 7.00-9.00 pm as part of their CAO Information Evening on Wednesday 11 January 2017.

Adult education FAQ

Adults returning to education can sometimes be at a loss as to where to begin.  The following are some of the questions that people making enquiries about Maynooth University Continuing Education certificate, diploma and degree courses often ask:

  • Do I need a Leaving Cert? No
  • Am I too old? No
  • Am I too long out of education? No
  • Are there exams? No
  • Will I get study support? Yes
  • How old do I have to be to take part in one of Maynooth’s part-time courses as a mature student? For part-time courses only you must be 21 years of age on 1 January 2017.
  • Do I have to fill out the CAO? Only for the BA in Local Studies/Community Studies – but you don’t need to worry about points or exams, you just need to fill out the short personal statement and that’s all.
  • What is Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)? RPL is a process whereby learning that people have acquired over their lifetime can be taken into consideration for the award of the BA Local Studies/Community Studies. This can be from previous courses from FETAC Level 6 upwards or from life experience.

More questions? The best thing to do is ring Kay Loughlin on 01 708 4587 or Derek Barter on 01 708 3948 and they will help you.

For more information on the CAO Information Evening you can e-mail  to register for this event or ring o1 708 4587/708 3948.

Anne Sexton

Learn a second language: The Language People join
Dates for the diary: January Open Days and Information Evenings